Re: Re: Thunderbird style search in Firefox

On 12/19/2004 09:10 AM, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> Sam Halliday wrote:
>
>> for anyone who has thunderbird installed, they will notice that when
>> you search for an item in the search bar, a little button appears
>> which allows you to clear the field... is there an extension to
>> firefox which enables the same feature in its search bar? as it is
>> very irritating having to manually clear the search bar every time.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Sam
>

> Hi Sam,
> I just use ctl-f which opens the search box if it's not already open. It
> highlights any text in the box if it's already open so anything I type
> replaces what's highlighted. It shifts focus to the search box as well
> so even if the box is on the main Firefox browser window ctl-f will get
> you straight to the search box. I'm using KDE and ctl-f is the search
> command used in KDE apps anyway. Isn't that easier and quicker than
> using a button.
> Cheers,
> Jonathan

Jonathan and Sam,

For searching *within* a web page in firefox, there's also find as you type.
Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced or about:config -> accessibility.typeaheadfind

For searching *within* a message in thunderbird, there's also mozilla-thunderbird-typeaheadfind package for similar functionality.

Regards,
Ralph