Re: Debian native java

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 05:10:22PM -0500, Tong wrote:
> Thanks for the input. Yeah, I meant to try the 'free-java-sdk' since it is
> default in Debian Testing. But looking up Debian Java faq, I noticed that
> things are more complicated than that. More sdk/jvm are available, and I
> can't tell which one is better than others by just reading the faq.

Without any shadow of a doubt the blackdown packages are "better" than
free-java-sdk if you want a functioning java system.  If you require a
free-software java system, go for free-java-sdk - but don't be surprised when
it doesn't run your java programs.

> Ok, let's forget the debian java packages and consider a simple question:
> I'm not just trying to compile a couple of small java programs. I want to
> use Java. Nowadays, many utilities are released in Java. Big monsters that
> comes to my mind are, eclips, jbuilder, together, IBM db2 control center,
> etc. What would be the best/safest java sdk package to use for such case,
> and all those ready built .jar files?

The blackdown or the sun java systems should work with these.
If you can get any of them to run with free-java-sdk, I am surprised, amazed
and impressed.

If you want to get your java programs running and get your work done, install
blackdown java.  If have ethical objections to non-free software, or you want
to support the development of free-software java systems, install
free-java-sdk.  Or you can install both (I don't think they conflict).

You said "I want to use java", so install the blackdown j2re-1.4 and j2sdk-1.4
packages.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch11.html

The sun system is a reasonable alternative, but if I understand correctly it's
essentially the same as the blackdown system anyway, blackdown port java to
linux for Sun (and us).  And it's not packaged for debian, so it will be a pain
to install.  The ibm system apparently doesn't support all of java 2.

Sam