Re: Thunderbird's IMAP connections.

Nate Duehr wrote:
How about syncing all folders while still reading and deleting/replying to other mail? Works great.

Still don't see the need for more than 2 connections in that situation. 1 active connection and one for overflow. At the very least they could be intelligent about it and open another connection each time any current connection is in use for, say, seconds. That would always leave a single connection dedicated to the user's immediate request while keeping the server load to a minimum.

The reason this has recently become a big concern for me is because I had to drop one dedicated machine for another. I went from 256Mb of RAM and all the swap I care to throw at it to 128Mb of RAM... total. No swap. 5 imapd connections, 3 of which weren't needed at all, was cutting into that space and that was only for me. If I had any other imapd users it would've been a serious pain. I'm not disputing that someone could get use of 5 connections at once just that I think 5 is a wee bit excessive as a default.

Only time you ever have any issues is when/if the folder sync runs across another folder that's getting an update with some IMAP servers (UW for sure, don't know about others) -- the server will complain the folder is already "in use".

Bleh. I'm dropping UW today. Been running with it for quite some time and it's nice that it just works. Except last night I installed uw-ipopd and it didn't work. Dropped connection after 5 seconds, no exceptions. Since uw servers have no dials to diddle I installed ipop3a (or some such, forget the exact package) and it worked fine. Toss in sslwrap to give ipops and all is good.

    Thinking of switching over to dovecot to see if that's any better.