mutt suddenly won't attach files

weirdness -- a couple days ago (could have been after an upgrade; i
don't remember), mutt suddenly stopped allowing me to attach files
unless i specified the -a flag from the command line.  from the
viewer, i hit 'a' to attach, and then scroll over to '..' to get out
of my mail directory, to find the file i want to attach.  but unlike
before, mutt now thinks i'm trying to attach /home/nori/Mail/.. , and
it won't let me.  it gives me the error:

Unable to attach /home/nori/Mail/..!

has anyone else seen this?  i don't _think_ i changed anything in the
last few days, but i don't see a bug filed about it.

thanks,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++ I've now run my SECOND marathon for AIDS; help sponsor me! ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++