Re: mounting cd-rw

On Dec 16 2004, jack kinnon wrote:
> I had assumed that all I need is to mount it and then do the file
> copying. Have I missed a step or two, like formatting, for instance?

Recent kernel versions (like the 2.9.10-rc3 that I'm using right now) has
the ability of using packet writing, which is what is needed for using a
CD-RW like it were a big diskette.

You would have to have a recent kernel *and* install the udftools package
for that.

After that, you'll have to format the media you want to use with your
preferred filesystem. I think that UDF is the preferred method here, if you
care about compatibility with other operating systems.

Once you do that, you'll be able to use the CD-RW like it were a big
diskette, but the performance is not that good with my writer (an HP
9100, which is able to write only at 4x).

Hope this helps, Rogério.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php