Re: Kudos to BootCD!

hi ya william

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, William Ballard wrote:

> I looked at apt-move but I didn't want a http based mirror.

the local mirror can be anywhere but okay on not using httpd/ftp

> /a "this is all related to apt"

okay on the directory subtreee ... make it according to the scripts

> I can diff any two /a/o/L*.gz files to see the history of stuff I
> installed.  I can diff any two /a/o/A*.gz to see the history of when a
> package became available.

and (ez) roll backs to particular dates is a good thing :-)

> It's a hack of all hacks.  It's Linux.

half the fun

> I hate long names.

yup... i like lots of "." in my names so that it makes a mess to
windoze folks

> The fact that nobody understands what I'm doing is in my mind
> a big plus.

ditto, esp for ones own stuff

> Long story short, use dpkg-scanpackages to do the magic and write
> your own scripts the way you want them.

thought dpkg-scanpackages works on Sources.gz and Packages.gz
but guesss one day, time needs to be spent to "figure it out"
for what i need

- i assume, totally guessing, that apt et.al will maintain the system
  based on the contents of Packages.gz
	- delete old files
	- delete files that are time stamped in the future

	and your L*.gz files are for your own "time stamping"
	and status checking ?

	- and, yup, i keep incremental changes too, ( daily, weekly,
	monthly, annual incremental changes/differences )

c ya
alvin