Re: Marvell 88E8053 (Asus P5GD1) not detected by sarge installer...

Joao Clemente wrote:
Maybe I should put another (temporary) NIC in the machine to do the installation, then get the module for the Marvell compiled and remove the temporary NIC? Would it be easier?

Just to finish this thread (maybe someone gets a P5GD1 also) I already got the NIC of this board working:

- Installed with a temporary NIC to do the network installation
- Installed 2.6 version ("linux26" at lilo prompt) because with normal (2.4) version the ICH6R and therefore the SATA disks were not seen
- Compiled Marvell NIC support using the driver from
http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk9e21_lin.htm

Very easy to do it:
a) get the kernel header corresponding to you kernel-image
b) ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-xxxx /usr/src/linux
c) unpack driver package obtained above
d) run ./install.sh
e) pick "user installation", choose "Y" and your module will be compiled , placed in /lib/modules... and loaded!

Have fun!