Re: Sound problem.

Hello

Thomas Sjölin (<munchkin@swipnet.se>) wrote:

> I have a problem with sound under debian woody.
>
> Just installed over the net and everything is running fine, except the
> sound.
>
> When I start X I get this message:
>
> [...]
> Device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)

This means the driver has not been loaded. First of all, I suggest you
upgrade to kernel 2.4.18-1 if you still use the default installation
kernel 2.2.20-idepci, because the installation kernel lacks some
drivers you may need to get sound working. Next, find out which driver
you need (if you use a PCI sound card or onboard chip, run lspci to get
more information). Searching Google Groups using the name and terms
like "linux module" mostly works. If you found out which driver you
need, add a line:

alias sound-slot-0 modulename

to /etc/modutils/aliases or you own file in /etc/modutils, and run
update-modules. Next, add yourself to the audio group:

adduser thomas audio

Log out and in again. That should be all you need to do.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976