Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

On Thursday 16 December 2004 04:28, Christian Convey wrote:

> But to be fair, that hasn't been my experience with Windows XP at all.
> So I'm doubtful that the users' simplicity offered by Windows has
> crashiness as a necessary consequence.

To be equally fair, Windows XP is a lot more difficult to install on modern
hardware than just about any recent version of Linux. I make that statement
based on several dual boot installations over the last 2 years.

And of course your non-techie Windows user just comes with intuitive
knowledge of how to protect his installation from the internet by installing
virus scanners, firewalls, and keeping his virus signatures up to date?

About the only thing Windows really has over Linux when you take the
respective hassles into account is that knowledge of Windows is spread wider.
That is changing.

> (Also, it seems to me that a badly written driver can kill Linux just as
> expediently as it can.)

I only ever succeeded in killing Linux once in nearly 3 years, that was when
I was stuffing around with hdparm. Individual applications do get killed from
time to time.

I still have a Win98 parition but its coming up 2 years this month since I
booted it.