RE: howto know if raid is really working?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Harland Christofferson wrote:

> I am curious about how to know if it is working. If cat-ting /proc/mdstat
> is knowing all about the raid array, then so-be-it.

when you think its working ..

power down .. pull one disk out ...
	power up .. write a 2GB or 4GB file on the degraded array
	and wait for it to finish, and power down

stick the first disk back in and see that when it powers up,
that it will resync the new 4GB file onto the 2nd disk

do the same with each of the other disk  pulled out ..

if it always resync ... its working

if you have to touch the keyboard to make it work,
than its NOT working
	only "cat /proc/mdstat" is allowed
	any other raid commands says the raid is not working

c ya
alvin