Re: Sun (was Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows)

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 12:55:55PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> being GPL is "dangerous" ... the big boyz with $$$ can do and will
> do what they want with all the (free) r/d work for the past few decades

Huh?  I thought the GPL was supposed to protect against such!  Unless they buy
the copyright, which in many cases is virutally impossible as its owned by many
people, they can't relicense - and the GPL does not permit non-GPL derived
works.  So what's the problem?

> and dangling $$$ in front of the "primary" people that controls the
> servers or the infrastructure of that distro and that distro dies
> overnight ( people are usually "buyable" )

Debian isn't buyable.  I don't particularly care if more commercial distros
snuff it, or get bought out by evil empires - all they're really buying is a
brand name.  The free software itself can't be bought out.  The worst they can
do is buy out the copyright, relicense and create a non-free derivative - but
in that case we can fork it from the last free version.