Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

Sam Watkins wrote:

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 11:56:06AM -0500, Christian Convey wrote:
As much as I like Linux and its ideals, I thought to myself, "I've never had to deal with issues like these in Windows. I buy a product, plug it in, and almost always, it just works."

Well, PC hardware is designed to work with windows, and the people who make the
hardware write windows drivers, and ship them with their product.  Open-source
developers have to do all that work for all the different hardware so it can
run on Linux.

Usually unpaid, in their spare time, after forking out for the device in question, without access to technical specs.