Not able to boot 2.6.9 kernel

I have tried apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.9-686 and also compiling
my own 2.6.9 kernel using the debian sources.  In both cases the boot
process just hangs when Lilo (or Grub) tries to unpack the 2.6.9
kernel.  No error messages.  I had to fall back to the standard 2.6.7
debian kernel to get the boot process going again.

In the case of error messages like kernel panic or LIL at least there
is something to work on.  How do I solve the problem without error
messages?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom, and
      before honour is humility."      Proverbs 15:33