Problem with Woody "Select net modules" drivers

I've created my Linux partitions, formatted them, checked for bad sectors,
mounted them, and have started loading the kernel.

On the page "Select net modules", I know that there is an onboard Ethernet
10/100 (it's connected to the router by cable), but cannot confirm that it
works (haven't loaded any other operating system and tried connecting over
my DSL router).

Every option but one on the "Select net modules" page fails when I try to
load it. I tried each on the hopes that one of them would autoload and work
(I gave none of them command line arguments as I had no idea what they might
be). bsd_comp (PPP BSD-Compress compression) loads.

When I choose finish and continue, Woody tells me, "No network devices are
available, therefore, you must set your hostname rather than fully
configuring the network. If you do have a network device, it is not
currently being detected..."

If I need to get more info from my system, please advise where I would get
it from. If I need to provide command line arguments, please advise where
the manual for those might be so I can choose intelligently. Thanks!

Guy Koehler