GGV can't read PDF files.

I have a problem that started a long time ago, and I have finally gotten
fed up enough to ask for help.

I've been running Sarge since Woody was released and have performed
regular updates (at least once or twice a month). Once, long, long ago,
one of the updates broke my ability to read PDF files (no, I didn't submit
a bug report; shame, shame on me :-). Eventually, this was fixed for GV,
but it is still broken for GGV. If I try to read a PDF file using GGV, I
get the message:  File is not a valid PostScript document. Both GV and GS
(gs-afpl) read the file correctly.

Any ideas about what's wrong?

Thanks,

Brian