kde apps crashing

hi folks,

I've found a couple of kde apps that I'd like to try out, htough I
mostly use xfce4.  Unfortunately they all seem to crash when I try to
open them.  The error messages they give are similar, e.g. this one
for k3b:

kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or
higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
k3b: (K3b::cutToWidth) not able to cut text to 1!
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or
higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
k3b: ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'file'.
k3b:
KCrash: Application 'k3b' crashing...
---------------

any poiinters?