need time in nano seconds

Hello,
Kindly excuse me for posting this on debian thread...I dont know
whether it is apt or not, but as I am using Debian, I am posting
this..

Can somebody tell me how I can get time elapsed in nanoseconds
(possibly a function)?
I have looked at the date command, but it is getting overflown with in
a couple of seconds, so on a second probe I dont know how many times
it has overflown...

I also googled for it, but all it was showing was links to RTLinux pages.

Having got dismayed, I am posting on this list.

If somebody knows, please let me too.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,
Michael.