Re: X.org <-----> Xfree

Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:51:47PM +0100, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> > Is X.org better than Xfree ??
>
> No.  It's "different".  Someday it may be "better", for some values of
> "better", but not yet.
>
> > Does someone has X.org getting on work with debian Sarge ??
>
> Xorg will wait until Sarge+1 (namely, Etch).  You don't need it
> anyway.

Sure I do.  I have a laptop with radeon 9600 mobility in it.  XFree86
4.3 cannot display 1400x1040 properly - I have a bunch of wierd boxen
on the right most edge and lose about 1/10 of my screen to them.  It
also has difficulty displaying to an external attached monitor.  I
read on the internet about having to download and compile the x.org
for it.  Look up debian and ibm thinkpad t42 2378fvu sometime.

--
Johan KULLSTAM