Writing to SMB share fails from some applications

Hi

Without going into a long explanation (which would probably only serve
to confuse) of how I got to here, I have a problem saving to a samba
share from specifically openoffice and kwrite.  However, I can save to a
samba share from the command line and from gvim running under kde.

I had used smb4k for a short period (about 2 weeks) which seemed to work
without a hitch until our router crashed and needed repair and the
replacement seemed to confuse smb4k.  smb4k went through a period of
erratic behavior on both a sarge (i386) and sid (ppc) system - sometimes
I couldn't mount and then couldn't unmount.  After reconfiguring and
reinstalling a number of times, I've resorted to using fstab to mount
the shares on /mnt and after playing with dmask and fmask I can mount
the shares with the correct permissions etc.

Saving to a share from the command line is fine
Saving to a share from gvim is fine
Saving to a share from OOo gives the following error:
"Error saving the document testfile:
General input/output error whilst accessing \
/mnt/cma/TemporaryItems/testfile.doc"

Saving to a share from kwrite gives a pop up box "Copy File (s)
Progress" which sticks at 0%  until the process times out with the
following error:

"Error kwrite
The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to
file:/mnt/cma/TemporaryItems/testfile.
Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space
is available"

The permissions both locally and on the server are correct AFAICT - as
evidenced by the ability to save both from the command line and gvim.

Could it be there is some sort of session file(s) hanging around in the
system from the previous errors which is blocking writing to a samba
share?  I found local (in my home directory) session files earlier for
smb4k, the removal of which seemed to cure some of the file sharing
problems.

Thanks

Clive

--