Re: Conversion PDF->WMF

--On Friday, December 10, 2004 18:36 -0500 Gregory Seidman <gsslist+debian@anthropohedron.net> wrote:

Because of unpleasant requirements at work, I am producing diagrams in a
Windows program that has no export capabilities at all. I can print,
however, and I am using the free PDFCreator project from sourceforge to
generate PDFs. This is all well and good, but I now need to insert these
diagrams in Word and modify them, which sucks.

It seems that the only vector formats Word understands are CGM, WMF, and
EMF. I took the PDFs I'd produced over to a Debian box and looked into
pstoedit. Unfortunately, its CGM output is mediocre (did terrible things
to fonts) and I had to use acroread to convert the PDF to PS before using
it. (It claims it works on PDF, and it should since it is based on
ghostscript, but it did not like these PDFs.) Another try was using
pstoedit to convert to an xfig file, then use fig2dev to convert to EMF,
but that was even worse. Even the xfig file looked crappy. I suspect the
problems with pstoedit had more to do with acroread's conversion to PS,
but I'm not sure.

Second the program you probably want is ghostscript, AKA gs, *OR* maybe ImageMagick.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to translate from PDF to
CGM, WMF, or EMF?

--Greg