Re: Re: Debian retail kit?

On 12/09/2004 10:20 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

[snipping liberally]

Looking to convert customers to Linux.

Our main business is hardware.

Repair and hardware is where the money's at, not this software stuff.

Our customers trust us

OK, now we've got some focus. I'd argue that what probably makes your firm successful and valued by your customers is not the hardware you deliver, but the competence, expertise and dependability by which you provide it. It's important to know what your customer is really paying for. Without this, you're just another dealer of commodity products, and that's a very tough way to make it. Most likely, you do more for your customers than you may know. Getting a better grip on what kinds of value and satisfaction you provide will help significantly.

I've seen your posts to this list over the last year, and it's clear you know a great deal about what can be done and how to do it effectively with these free tools. That knowledge has value your customers should be willing to pay for.

So by being knowledgeable about alternatives to windows, you're already providing value and building your reputation w/ customers. If you can't charge for your software and support expertise, you're missing the boat, in my view.

How will your "kit" be more effective for your company than a free Ubuntu CD

We'd have to burn CDs, which costs money that we wouldn't make back (much less profit).

Maybe I assumed too much.... Anyone can get ubuntu cd's in quantity, free including shipping. Maybe this won't last, but for now you could offer a professionally produced CD at no charge to existing customers with no obligation for you to support it without charge. I'm not suggesting this is a good idea, but it is a way you could offer value to customers without incurring direct costs for your adventurous and itchy- to-leave windows customers.

Back to your original question in the Subject line, I think you just answered it when you said:

Looking to convert customers to Linux. We want our customers to have the option of having a quality[1] distribution pre-installed or to install themselves rather than the standard, lackluster lineup of "Windows or nothing."

I don't see how a $10 CD "retail kit" is going to achieve that objective.

If you sell a system with XP and MS Office, how much do you charge and what support do you provide?

Could you sell that same system for a similar price with a fully installed Debian desktop, openoffice, etc replacing the proprietary sw? All the support and training money would go to your firm whether you bundled it in or charged a la carte or provided a support contract. I think you'd be miles ahead this way versus taking $10 for a CD and book.

Of course there are many good ways to do this, and you'll want to have a variety of them for the different situations you'll face. Staying focused on your main objective, keeping customers satisfied with the value you provide, will keep you looking at the big picture.

Oh Paul, you may even find a windows firefox CD can whet the appetite of a particular customer. Because we know what happens next once they've seen what's possible with free sw.

Regards,
Ralph