Possibly OT: Postfix stopped working (firestarter problem???)

Hello,

This might no be debian specific, but I'm not sure, since I think it
started after doing a dist-upgrade on my (mostly) debian testing
installation with custom a 2.6.9 kernel.

I have this strange problem that Postfix stopped working all of a
sudden. Actually, it does work locally but remotely, both sending and
receiving don't work. And this seems to (or could) be more of a problem
with my firewall (firestarter) than that of postfix. Because even as I
have allowed connections to SMTP port (25), the internet port scanner
programs see that port in stealth mode. And I don't understand how my
firewall would stop postfix from sending email (since its now blocked).

So, does this sound familiar to anyone here, any ideas to debug/fix are
most welcome.

TIA, Juha