Re: Conexant Accessrunner

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 22:54 +0000, John Talbut wrote:
> Hi again
>
> Is there any chance I might get some answers to this?  If not, any
> suggestions as to how I might get some help?
>
> John
>
> Hi
>
> I have managed to install Woody 3.0r3, and otherwise I am new to Linux.
>
> I am trying to install a driver for my Conexant AccessRunner PCI ADSL modem.
>
> The (18 page!) instructions for installing the Linux drivers that came
> with the modem start by by stating:
>
> "To use the Conexant ADSL drivers, you must upgrade your Linux kernel to
> add support for ATM and the required encapsulation protocols. The
> drivers will not work on Linux kernels without this support. Currently,
> we support the Red Hat 6.2 and 7.1 distributions. For Red Hat 6.2, the
> resulting upgraded kernel is 2.2.16. For Red Hat 7.1, Red Hat recommends
> upgrading to kernel 2.4.3-12, which we support."
>
> Since I obtained the modem in March and I have only just obtained Woody,
> I would think that my kernel is sufficiently up to date.  Is that so,
> and if not how do I update it (or where do I find the instructions on
> how to do so)?
>
> The instructions then say I need a PPP Daemon.  Woody seems to have PPP
> support, is that so?
>
> Then the instructions say:
>
> "‧ Get the distributed driver RPM file for your product and Linuxkernel
> version (from CD, website, etc.) from the appropriate driver directory
> and place it the /usr/src directory (e.g., the driver for kernel version
> 2.2.16 would be named
>
> CnxADSL-TgrATM_k2.2.16_6.1.2.007-7.i386.rpm and found in the directory
> Tigris_K2.2.16_Driver):"
>
> So, what is the name of the driver I need and where can I find it?

If I were in your shoes, I would upgrade to sarge or at least re-install
from a newer Debian-Installer Netinstal ISO.

From rom there:

apt-get install xdslusb xdslusb-source ppp pppoe pppoeconf

also get the headers for you current kernel (mine == 2.6.9-1-k7), my
needed packages would be

apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.9-1-k7 kernel-headers-2.6.9-1
cd /usr/src/
tar zxf xdslusb.tar.gz
cd modules/xdslusb/
make     #(some errors will turn up but ignore them)
cp cxacru.ko /lib/modules/2.6.9-1-k7/kernel/drivers/usb/misc/
depmod

Do the depmod to make sure the stuff is alright. Then reboot.

You should be able to at least try a setup of the pppoe link for your
modem. Or maybe just works.

Also, don't forget to make sure you use *YOUR* kernel version and its
proper headers.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is