Re: ddclient uses an unreasonable amount of CPU time

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:45:25PM +0100, Andreas Ehn wrote:
> I used debconf to configure ddclient and did not change the delay, which
> defaults to one minute. There is no "daemon=1m" line
> in /etc/ddclient.conf, but /etc/init.d/ddclient runs ddclient with this
> command line, which should do it:
>
> 	/usr/bin/perl -w /usr/sbin/ddclient -daemon 1m -syslog

Try changing the "1m" to "60", my ddclient gives a warning when I use "1m",
although it isn't eating CPU.

If that doesn't help, try using strace or ltrace, these may indicate what type
of loop it's stuck in.

e.g.

strace -p 1234

or

ltrace -p 1234

where 1234 is the process ID of ddclient (perl)

when you're running strace, it should sit and wait with a message like:

nanosleep({60, 0},

if it's working right.

Sam