Re: ddclient uses an unreasonable amount of CPU time

Wed 2004-12-08 at 16:27 +1100, Sam Watkins wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 07:17:46PM +0100, Andreas Ehn wrote:
>
> > I'm using ddclient 3.6.2-3 in Debian Sarge in daemon mode to keep my
> > DynDNS.org hostname updated. I have configured it to check the IP
> > address of eth0 every minute, but for some reason ddclient uses 10 to
> > 20 % of the CPU all the time.
>
> I think you must have configured it wrongly.
>
> Perhaps you set daemon=1 instead of daemon=60 - the delay is measured in
> seconds, not minutes.  That would explain the constant cpu usage.
>
> I think you can also write daemon=1m for one minute

I used debconf to configure ddclient and did not change the delay, which
defaults to one minute. There is no "daemon=1m" line
in /etc/ddclient.conf, but /etc/init.d/ddclient runs ddclient with this
command line, which should do it:

	/usr/bin/perl -w /usr/sbin/ddclient -daemon 1m -syslog

That not withstanding, ddclient constantly uses the CPU. Really strange!

I tried adding the "daemon=1m" line to the configuration file and
restarted ddclient, but to no avail.

However, thanks to Ben Bettin I did find out that ez-ipupdate does
support using custom accounts with DynDNS.org. That solved my problem,
but it would be nice to find out what causes the high CPU usage
nevertheless.

Best regards,
Andreas