Re: Why do people use 1280x1024? (was Re: custom gdm screen resolution? [SOLVED - work around])

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:05:14 +0000, Dave Ewart <davee@sungate.co.uk> wrote:

> Found a little comment about this matter here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard
>
>     "Super XGA, a de facto standard with a resolution of 1280 × 1024
>     with 32 bit pixels, true colour. This is an unusual resolution
>     because the numbers work out for a 5:4 display rather than a 4:3
>     one, so many images appear wider on SXGA displays than most other
>     resolutions. The resolution probably should have been 1280 × 960 (a
>     popular standard resolution for Unix workstations)."
>
> I guess this doesn't really address what happens with native TFT
> resolutions etc., though.

I just did some measuring in my office:

My 17" TFT has a width of 13 1/4 inch, height 10 3/4
My co-worker's 17" (viewable) CRT (so I guess thats a 19" CRT)  has
width 14 1/3, height 10 2/3

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/