Re: how can I put an acpi laptop to sleep?

At Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:57:17 -0600,
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> John M Flinchbaugh wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:20:06PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >
> >>Something I missed. echo 4 >/proc/acpi/sleep indeed does so. Then
> >>what?
> >>You power down? With the button? I reboot with resume=/dev/hda13 in
> >>the
> >>boot cmdline and linux complains about not being shutdown right,
> >>and he
> >>cycles through all the steps anyway.
> >

> > swsusp only works if you have one and only one swap partition mounted.
> >
> > i always boot with resume=<my swap partition>, and the "echo 4" causes a
> > switch to another tty, and i can watch the progress dots as it swaps out
> > memory and then writes the remaining memory image to the rest of the
> > swap partition.  when it finishes, it powers down my notebook for me
> > through an acpi call, i guess.
> >
> > next time i boot (with the resume=<swap partition>), the resume code
> > recognizes the signature at the front of the swap partition and resumes
> > from that.
> >
> > i'm not sure if specifying the resume= kernel option is key for normal
> > boots from which you'll suspend.
>
> Thanks! Then there is something missing in my kernel configuration.
> "Echo 4" does a few things but then does not power down the system.
> Because I don't have the right power options no doubt. And I only have

Could be that it doesn't work properly on your computer. It doesn't work
everywhere yet unfortunately.

Could also be that you have a bug in the acpi code in the bios (unfortunately
quite common).

> one swap partition mounted.

At least the version in software-suspend.berlios.de (swsusp 2) can handle more
then one swap partition (and swap file and a host of other stuff) but it will
require you to recompile your kernel.

It may work for you though were the in-kernel version failed.