Re: dpkg uninstalled packages

Alexander Pohl wrote:

I'm using a freshly installed and up to date version of Debian Sarge. In
Woody uninstalled packages had a description for installed as well as
uninstalled packages by default. I would like to get the descriptions
back as it is really bad when you don't see the description of a package
that you might want to install.

Need help.
Thanks, Alexander

I can't reproduce that dpkg -l '*mysql*' gives descriptions for uninstalled packages in my woody chroot; I think the current[Sarge] behavior is the way it's always been. I would suggest you either use a front end like aptitude, or else use apt-cache and/or grep-dctrl to search for packages that you might want to install.