Re: dpkg uninstalled packages

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:40:04PM +0000, Alexander Pohl wrote:
> hello,
>
> the dpkg package manager doesn't give a package description for
> uninstalled packages. A sample output of dpkg -l '*mysql*' is given below:

> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                    Version                 Description
> +++-=======================-=======================-==============================================================
> ii  dbf2mysql               1.14a-3                 xBase <--> MySQL
> un  gda2-mysql              <none>                  (no description
> available)

Some packages I have are marked "un" others "pn":

pn  gda2-mysql         <geen>             (geen beschrijving beschikbaar)
un  mysql              <geen>             (geen beschrijving beschikbaar)

(Ignore the Dutch part.) 'p' stands for purge, 'u' for unknown. For
the ones marked 'p' I can get info with `apt-cache show', for the
others not. That's probably because the purged packages have once been
installed on my system so I still have some info on them. So:

apt-cache show gda2-mysql

gives info and

apt-cache show mysql

gives nothing. In both cases I can't get info about them with the
plain dpkg.

> I'm using a freshly installed and up to date version of Debian Sarge. In
> Woody uninstalled packages had a description for installed as well as
> uninstalled packages by default. I would like to get the descriptions
> back as it is really bad when you don't see the description of a package
> that you might want to install.

The above info I mentioned is for Sarge. Now I `chrooted' to a woody
installation. It was exactly the same there. `dpkg -l' gave no info,
apt-cache gave info on purged packages only.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill