Help

sir

    I am from india. I recently got your debian linux
on a DVD as a free issue from a magazine "PC quest". I
used linux kernel 2.6 on my machine running pentium 4
with mercury motherboard using intel 845GL as chipset.
after installing the gnome starts only with 640 x 480.
I cant change the resolution and when i try to login
as root in the GUI mode it says login as root is not
allowed.please send me the solution to
samjkd@yahoo.com