Re: Debian retail kit?

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:57:24PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions on what people would expect in a retail kit
> for Debian, as I've been put in charge of pushing Debian in the shop I
> work at.
>
> Right now, since we're concerned only with i386, I'm thinking a Sarge CD
> set and a printed copy of the installation manual, all in a single
> binder.  Sarge RC2 net-inst CDs have been selling with lukewarm
> reception at $9.50 for the CD by itself in an envelope, but I think I
> can do better than that.  I haven't found anybody who sells boxed
> Debian sets, and haven't seen any discussion in the archives this
> decade about the topic.
>
> Target audience are more experienced Windows users looking for a way
> out.
>
> So if anybody has any suggestions for what a small shop can put
> together, or a distributor that sells Debian boxed sets, I'm looking to
> hear from you.

I would highly avoid "selling" a non-release version.  If you want to
sell a version more current then woody now, I would look to Ubuntu or
other similar Debian based distro.  Selling a customer a non-release
verion with no security support is not in either your or the customer's
best interest.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar