Re: Upgrading from another debian machine

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:35:24PM +0000, joebosak@uku.co.uk wrote:
> I have woody on one machine and would like to upgrade to sarge.
>
> I have another machine [laptop, PCMCIA modem] that I upgraded from woody to
> sarge.  I did not delete the .deb files.
>
> Can I us the deb files on the laptop to upgrade the distribution on the
> other machine?  I reckon the software list is probably longer on the laptop
> [ie. there probably won't be anything installed on the woody machine that
> isn't on the laptop].
>
> I'm assuming I could use ftp and move all the files then do it one at a
> time.  But could I amend sources.list and use "apt-get dist-upgrade"?

If you copy all the deb files from /var/cache/apt/archives on the sarge
box into the same location on the woody box before you upgrade, I
believe it will just find them when you upgrade. No need to change your
sources.list. Anything newer than what you've already got will be
downloaded as usual.

Richard