Upgrading from another debian machine

I have woody on one machine and would like to upgrade to sarge. I have another machine [laptop, PCMCIA modem] that I upgraded from woody to sarge. I did not delete the .deb files. Can I us the deb files on the laptop to upgrade the distribution on the other machine? I reckon the software list is probably longer on the laptop [ie. there probably won't be anything installed on the woody machine that isn't on the laptop]. I'm assuming I could use ftp and move all the files then do it one at a time. But could I amend sources.list and use "apt-get dist-upgrade"?
Grateful for any advice!