Re: Suggestions for DVD/CD writing software?

I appreciate your taking the time to test some of it out and teach me
a few things.

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:59:04 +0100, Maurits van Rees <maurits@vanrees.org> wrote:
> apt-cache search <some search term and some other search term>
> might help here.

In regards to apt, I've always stuck with aptitude.  I've been using
linux for 3 years now, but only for a few months with Debian (I think
i'll stick with Debian for many years, I love it).  When I installed
Debian it used aptitude, so I continued to use that program after
installation was over and I got into my system.  I read somewhere that
if you install things without using aptitude, aptitude will mess up
because it keeps track of what you install/uninstall.  So I've been
somewhat afraid of using any "apt" commands.  In aptitude I hit "/"
and typed in a regexp to search for.  After reading 'man apt-cache'
I'm assuing that the search functionality with '/' in aptitude is the
same thing?

If using the apt commands won't screw up my system I'd definitly give
them a try, but I'm still leary of it due to my inexperience with
debian and what I read when I first installed it.

> Do you have enough space on the partition? If you have about 700 MB
> free and you want to copy a dvd that is probably not enough and would
> indeed result in a write error. `df -h' helps here.

I'm pretty certain my partition has enough space.  I went ahead and
had debian install everything to a single partition (/), that way I
wouldn't have to worry about it.  My hard-drive that has the '/'
partition is 250gb.

> You may need to use some other infile than /dev/cdrom because it is a
> dvd, but I'm not sure of that. I can't read dvds on my system.

I'm pretty sure /dev/cdrom is ok.  I did a "ls -l /dev/cdrom" and
found that /dev/cdrom is a symlink to /dev/cdrom0, which is my dvd
device.  /dev/cdrom1 is my dvd-writer.  I'm not sure why, but linux
doesn't appear to differentiate the two.  It sticks the master dvd/cd
at /dev/cdrom0, and the slave at /dev/cdrom1.

> I loaded a cd. I have enough space on /opt, so I tried:
>
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/opt/cdrom.iso
>
> After a while the following appeared:
>
> dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
> 1273096+0 records in
> 1273096+0 records out
> 651825152 bytes transferred in 397,550926 seconds (1639602 bytes/sec)
>
> I think dd just reads until it encounters an error like this. Then
> that shouldn't be a problem.

That's the same input/output error I got.  I think I said read/write
error in my post, but that was just the effects of a bad memory :)

> I mounted the resulting iso file on a loop device as root and that
> worked fine. There were md5sums of everything on the cd and they
> checked out fine as well. So at least for cds dd seems okay.

I should try this and see if the mounted image from the iso looks the
same as the original dvd disk.

>From what you've said, it appears my dd of the iso worked.  It was a
bit over 700 mb in size.  But, when I tried to use K3b to copy the
disk, it said the disk was too large (over 6 or 7 gb), and my
recordable disks were too small (4.something gb).  This makes me think
dd really didn't work, that the iso wasn't complete?  That would
explain why when I burned a dvd from the iso tha tit wouldn't play.

You say the cause of this is not having enough room on the partition.
Perhaps I'm not understanding how partitions in linux work?  When I
installed Debian I had it put everything in a single partition (/), it
said this was for newbies (I did it because it sounded easier hehe).
Wouldn't that mean that the different directories (/home, /usr, /etc,
etc) could get as big as they want, until the (/) partition hits
250gb?  Or, even though everything is technically in one partition, is
there some kind of virtual limit placed on the directories?  The place
I had dd save the iso was my home directory.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ben