Re: Suggestions for DVD/CD writing software?

My kernel shouldn't have a problem, I'm running 2.6.7.

I'm at work at the moment.  I'll submit a bug report for this when I
get back home later this evening.

I'm not sure what version of K3b I'm using.  Under the suggestions of
the users on this list I started up aptitude and installed whatever
the latest version of it was.  I'm using Testing (Sarge), standard
debian sources...nothing fancy.  I'm not sure how up-to-date
debian.org's package list is what what's actually on their sources,
but according to the site it's version 0.11.12-1 (linkage:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=k3b&searchon=names&subword=1&version=testing&release=all)

I appreciate everyone's assistance with helping me figure this problem
out, the community never ceases to amaze me :)  Until I can get k3b
working correctly, I figure it's a good time to learn how to create
and copy cd's and dvd's from the console...then I wouldn't have to
deal with the gui's hehe.  I notice a few people have posted some tips
on this, any more you guys and gals can think of would be greatly
appreciated.

Searching through aptitude for "cd" and "dvd" brings up quite a few
packages.  Some appear to do the same thing, it's rather overwhelming.
 I tried the "dd" command someone mentioned earlier, I used it to try
to copy one of my DVD movies (The Clearing).  I ran "dd if=/dev/cdrom
of=the_clearing.iso".  It ran for awhile then ended with some kind of
read/write error.  I think the iso was just over 700 mb in size.
Seems like it should've been longer than that.  I deleted the iso and
tried again, same thing happened.  I'm not sure how dd works, but for
copying floppies I see people put in a size argument or something.  I
figured maybe since the command didn't specify one, dd got to the end
of the cd and then threw and error because of it?  I went ahead and
tried to burn the iso using k3b.  It burned ok, but the Dvd wouldn't
play in my tv or fiancee's computer.  The tv says there was some kind
of error, the computer (running windows media player) said that the
dvd wasn't formated to play in this region.  I can post again later
with the exact error message if you like, I can't recall what it was
right now.