Re: Cloning a workstation

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Sarunas Burdulis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to clone a workstation (which has some custom configuration and
> scripts added to otherwise basic Sarge/KDE) into another set of
> absolutely identical hardware (Intel Pentium 4, IDE HD). Just one clone,
> not a massive install. What tools would you use? Easiest/quickest?
> Machines are on an Ethernet, have CD/DVD and floppy drives.

put the new ide disk into the new machine

boot off the standalone cd

p4# mkdir /mnt/oldPC
p4# mount oldPC:/ /mnt/oldPC
p4# partition new ide disk as you like
p4# mount /dev/NewIDE  /mnt/NewPC
p4# mount /dev/NewIDE2 /mnt/NewPC/usr
	-- whatever your partition scheme is

p4# cd /mnt/oldPC ; tar cf - DIRECTORIES | ( cd /mnt/NewPC ; tar zxvfp - )
p4# lilo  or grub

reboot and take out the knoppix/standalone cd

DIRECTORIES="/boot /bin /dev /lib /sbin /root /var /tmp /opt .."

remove old log info and cleanup as needed on the new pc

make a script if yoou like.. but for one cloning, it'd be pointless .. :-)

-- or boot and do install the minimum deb install first ..
	old# dpkg -get-selections * > /mnt/floppy/old-list

	- do minimumal install to get the new box on the network

	new# dpkg -set-selections < /mnt/floppy/old-list
	apt-get dselect-upgrade
	apt-get dist-upgrade
	apt-get upgrade
	- and get your cutomizations moved over

-- or a gazillion other ways to skin the cat

c ya
alvin