Re: I don't want games!!!

On Tuesday 07 Dec 2004 19:12, Xinjiang Lu wrote:
> If I get the point, aptitude can do it for you.
>
> aptitude remove kdegames
>
> will remove all dependent packages
>
> I once used apt-get to remove kde, but all kde components were left
> untouched.  After that, every time I used aptitude, it would prompt me
> to remove a bunch of packages. ;)
>
> -Xinjiang

<snip>

Hi,

This problem is because aptitude handles packages dependencies differently
from apt-get. When aptitude installs something, it tags the dependencies as
to be removed if the thing being installed is removed. So what I think
happened was that when you installed the kde package (my guess is with
aptitude) it had all the kde stuff as dependants. When you then removed the
kde package, aptitude thought of them as just being dependants and thought
you should remove them too.

Peter