Re: Suggestions for DVD/CD writing software?

> From: Ben Bettin <bwbettin@gmail.com>
> Date: Yesterday 21:52:38
>
> I took everyone's advice and am giving k3b a try.  I picked up a few
> DVD+R and DVD+RW discs (my drive supports both + and - protocols).
>
> I installed k3b with aptitude (I'm running Sarge).  I started it up,
> and it's giving me an error/warning message which I'm not sure how >
> to fix.  It says the following:
>
> Unable to find dvd+rw-format executable
> K3b uses dvd+rw-format to format DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs.
> Solution: Install the dvd+rw-tools package.
>
> According to aptitude I have dvd+rw-tools installed.  I checked
> /usr/bin and I see dvd+rw-format listed.  I started up K3bSetup2 and
> checked, /usr/bin is in the search path, yet it still can't find
> dvd+rw-format.  I tried added /usr/bin/dvd+rw-format to the search
> path, still no luck.
>
> I tried searching through some of the past archived post from this
> group but didn't have much luck.  I've only been receiving this list
> for a week or so, so I apologize if there is a known fix for this >
> that everyone but me knows.  :)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for me to get k3b full working?
>
> If I'm doomed and must use the console to burn cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-r, >
> and dvd-rw's, does anyone have some linkage to a nice tutorial >
> describing how to do it?
>
>Thanks so much for your thoughts.

>Ben

Looking at the bug report for K3b it looks like you have found a new
bug, might be just how it was packaged.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=pkg&data=k3b&archive=no

While I was looking up something similar, I came across some good urls
that might be helpful to you.

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:lwmxIKqlJjwJ:applications.linux.com/print.pl%3Fsid%3D04/11/16/1555246+growisofs+%2B+bin/cue&hl=en
http://crashrecovery.org/oss-dvd/HOWTO-ossdvd.html

The first one seems to be very in depth and somewhat official, as
other links seem to point to it.  For example the last url lists the
first url as a resource.

As far as I know one of the uses of dvd+rw-tools that K3b employes is
that to erase a dvd+-rw disc. To get by this problem just use the
dvd+rw-format on the cmd line to erase the disk.  As stated early in
this thread K3b uses growisofs, so a little cmd line should not hurt
anyone. I must admit the dd method is very slick, but what I really
need is something that can join two bin/cue files, or more, to fit on
a dvd+-rw media disk, and be played in a stand alone dvd player.

Anyway you might want to file a bug report against K3b for the problem
you encountered.

Rthoreau