Re: new to debian -- a few questions

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 08:20:58PM -0800, Rich Rudnick wrote:
> 'Debian' consists of the packages in main. The fundamental essence
> (IMHO) of main is that these are packages put together by individuals
> who have undergone a peer review process before getting commit rights to
> main. Knoppix, ubunto, libranet, gnoppix and other derivatives take
> snapshots of subsets of main...

While your definition is accurate in the main, Ubuntu is a spcial case in
that it doesn't take the garbage approach of the other pseudo-distributions
you mention.  It does not use Debian packages.  It uses it's *own*
packages and is, in fact, a real distribution.

Not that I want to be seen as defending Ubuntu, of course... it's not
something *I'd* ever use.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Quick!!  Act as if nothing has happened!
 msw@cox.net |