Re: new to debian -- a few questions

gl34@telus.net wrote:

> I migrated from slack8 to debian? via a knoppix3.4 livecd which I
> installed on a K6 500 box.

Knoppix is not Debian - it is a LiveCD that is a mixture of Stable, Testing,
and Unstable that does not correspond to any actual Debian version.

If you want an actual version of Debian, download the newest version of the
new installer at:

This will give you Sarge, which is currently Testing and will become the
next Stable "real soon now".

> Where are the drivers? the c files? I looked everywhere. Found lots of h
> files, no c's. On the CD there's a big knoppix file. Are the files I'm
> looking for in there? How do I access them?

Unlike Slackware, Debian installs pre-compiled binary packages. The drivers
are pre-built as modules, and there are no .c files by default.

> in /usr/src# make xconfig fails. How do I (re)configure the kernel?

Install the kernel-source package and build your own custom kernel. There
are walkthroughs of "the Debian way" to build a custom kernel at:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.en.html

> How do I list packages with dpkg?

>From 'man dpkg', under 'dpkg-query-actions':

dpkg -l | --list package-name-pattern ...
   List packages matching given pattern.

> How do I find what version of debian I'm using?

None - see above.

> uname -r gives 2.4.22.xfs. What's xfs?

Not sure, but I'm guessing it's a 2.4.22 kernel that has been patched to add
XFS support (which went into mainline at 2.4.24, IIRC).

Adam