Re: debmirror: cpu bound?

Hi Christian,

Christian Convey:

> Thanks for the info, and I'd love a copy of your apt-move.conf file.

No problem.

/etc/apt-move.conf (comments stripped):
APTSITES="/all/"                       # include whole sources.list
                                       # (except file­URLs)
LOCALDIR=/srv/www/mirrors/debian       # obvious
DIST=unstable                          # check manual for the meaning!
PKGTYPE=binary                         # get only binary packages, no sources
FILECACHE=/var/cache/apt/archives      # where apt stores its cache
LISTSTATE=/var/lib/apt/lists
DELETE=yes                             # delete old packages
MAXDELETE=20                           # delete maximum n% of the whole tree
COPYONLY=no
PKGCOMP=gzip                           # compress Packages files (gzip, bzip2, none)
CONTENTS=no                            # don't generate Contents files

Using bzip2 instead of gzip and/or generating Contents files would use a
lot more CPU. My sources.list:

deb file:/srv/www/mirrors/debian	stable				main
deb file:/srv/www/mirrors/debian	testing				main contrib non-free
deb file:/srv/www/mirrors/debian	testing/non-US			main non-free
deb file:/srv/www/mirrors/debian	testing-proposed/updates	main
deb file:/srv/www/mirrors/debian	unstable			main contrib non-free
deb file:/srv/www/mirrors/debian	unstable/non-US			main non-free

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/		sarge			main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/		sarge-proposed-updates	main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/	sarge/non-US		main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/			sarge/updates		main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/		sid		main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/	sid/non-US	main contrib non-free

deb http://www.rarewares.org/debian/packages/unstable ./	# (libvorbis, lame, lame-ha, lame-cvs, lamip, cue2toc, shntool)
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main		# mplayer
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main		# mplayer
deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ unstable non-free		# opera browser
deb http://www.bootsplash.de/files/debian unstable main		# bootsplash

The manual of apt-move insists on the file-URLs of the local packages
to be at the beginning. Makes sense, though, cause then local apt uses
the already downloaded packages.

The clients use this sources.list:
deb http://debris/mirrors/debian stable main
deb http://debris/mirrors/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debris/mirrors/debian testing/non-US main non-free
deb http://debris/mirrors/debian testing-proposed/updates main
deb http://debris/mirrors/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb http://debris/mirrors/debian sid/non-US main non-free

As you can see, apt-move merges all of the different mirrors from the
server's sources.list. Of course you have to make sure that one
(unofficial) mirror with higher version numbers doesn't accidentally
overwrite official package versions you'd rather like the clients to
use.

> I think I've discovered a little more.  It looks like
> "ftp.at.debian.org" needs to be accessed via http, not ftp. When I use
> ftp as my protocol I seem to get all the problems.

Well, that sounds like using http instead solves all your problems. :-)
And, erm, do you speak german (because of the .at mirrors)? Dann hätten
wir ja auch deutsch sprechen können. ;-)

J.
--
People talking a foreign language are romantic and mysterious.
[Agree]   [Disagree]