Re: I don't want games!!!

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:07:24 -0600
"Ian R. Meinzen" <i.meinzen@ieee.org> wrote:

> I am currently running sarge with both KDE and Gnome installed.  I'd
> like to remove the games from my system (*WAY* too much temptation for
> someone who is already far enough behind), but I noticed that the kde
> and gnome-desktop-environment packages depend on the games packages.  Is
> there a way to force this dependency off?  I'd hate to have a bunch of
> broken dpendencies lying around.  Any help would be appreciated.

Start with:

I'm serious; not trying to be a pain in the butt.  There's a lot of
good info in there.  Take a special look at the "Before You Ask"
section, and the "Use meaningful, specific subject headers" subsection
of "When You Ask."

Also, rather than forcing the dependency off, consider the following:
suppose you go ahead and remove the games, and as a result remove the
kde and gnome-desktop-environment packages.  What happens as a result?
What are the consequences of removing those two additional packages?
If those two packages contain files, you'll lose those files; and if
there are other packages that depend on gnome-desktop-environment or
kde, those packages will have to go too.  So what files are contained
within gnome-desktop-environment and kde, and what packages depend
on gnome-desktop-environment and kde (not what dependencies do those
two have, but what depends on those two)?  Enlightenment as to how
most people solve this dilemma comes with the answers to those two
questions.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)