using RAID 1 with Debian Woody

Hello,

I am not currently subscribed to this group, so kindly copy me on any
RAID level 1, installed raidtools2, upgraded to 'unstable's' version of
LILO (one article mentions that Wooddy-stable's LILO cannot boot from
RAID), created the appropriate /etc/raidtab, etc/lilo.conf and initrd
files.

When I boot from a gentoo CD, copy the raidtab and start the array,
everything is fine. But when I leave the system to boot for itself, it
cannot find root. During the boot sequence, I see the messages like:

"""
Highpoint software RAID driver 0.01
no raid array found.
...blah..
please append a correct "root="  boot option
"""

I can boot to the maintenance prompt if I specify "linux root=/dev/sda4".
It stops there because it cannot find the superblock for this partition,
which would make sense as it is a persistent RAID superblock.

Interestingly, the system does actually *boot* from RAID (i.e. appearantly
finding kernel & initrd from /dev/md0) but things seem to get lost after
that.

I have tried numberous tricks like describing the disk geometry for
/dev/md0 in lilo.conf. But nothing seems to change the result.

One trouble is that I read slightly different proceedures from differnet
sites... most of which seem to be convinced that booting from software
RAID is quite possible. That seems to be the part that is working for me,
but mounting /dev/md2 as the root filesystem keeps killing it.

Does someone here know anything about this? I am not currently subscribed
to this group, so kindly copy me on any reply to this query.

Thank you in advance,
Ben

Stay ahead of the information curve.
Receive MCAD news and jobs on your desktop daily.
Subscribe today to the MCAD CafeNews newsletter.
[ http://www10.mcadcafe.com/nl/newsletter_subscribe.php ]
It's informative and essential.