Re: Woody & USB drive identification

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 12:08 -0600, Nick Miller wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>   I am currently running debian woody with a stock kernel (2.4.20-k6). I
> have two USB hard drives that I want to be able to swap for a backup.
> When I plug in the first drive, it gets the assignment of /dev/sdd1. Now
> I want to be able to unplug this drive and put in the other and have the
> computer assign the newly plugged in drive with the same device assignment
> as the previously plugged in drive. When trying this though, the next
> disk will get the assignment of /dev/sde1 even without the other one
> plugged in.
>
>   I run fedora core 3 with 2.6.7 at home and for some reason, it doesn't
> do this.
> Do you know if there are any arguments that I can put in the
> modules.conf or is this just how kernel 2.4.x behaves?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
> Nick

Upgrading to Sarge, and using a 2.6 kernel, and udev will allow
you to to have these drives as, for example, /dev/backup.

Then, /etc/fstab would have a reference to /dev/backup instead
of /dev/sd?1.  Very, very useful.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"World peace, like community peace, does not require that each
man love his neighbor -- it requires only that they live together
with mutual tolerance, submitting their disputes to a just and
peaceful settlement."
John F Kennedy