Re: too hard to pass parameters to modules, especially implicitly loaded ones

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 03:48:59AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> One thing I've been considering is passing all kernel parameters to
> modules in the modprobe line always.

I'm not sure about that. I haven't yet got my new non-initrd kernel
going (my solution to avoid messing with the initrd image), but the
howto I read definitely said to put

hda=stroke

on the kernel command line, but the module prefers

options="hda=stroke"

So they appear to want something different - or I'm misunderstanding
something, which is quite possible. I guess I'll find out by the time I
get my new kernel going :-)

> I'm not sure how all modules would
> react to this, hopefully they'd just ignore unknown parameters.

They seem to report them at least, so there'd be a bit of junk in the
logs.

> Of course it wouldn't help with passing the
> parameter on the installed system.

That's something I haven't had much success with. Is there information
somewhere about how the initrd image gets created? By d-i in particular?
Or does it come in the kernel package, in which case I need to set up my
module options somehow during the package creation?

Many thanks,

Richard