Re: Fw: gdm and reboot

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:55:56PM -0500, Michael Spang wrote:

I have often wondered why exactly it defaults to requiring a password.
Requiring a user who has physical access to a computer root privileges
to shut it down seems fundamentally flawed to me--they could easily shut
it down by removing power.

Sorry, I do not agree with you here! You may have a cenario where a user has "physical acess to keyboard/mouse/screen" but not to the box... I actually know this cenario, have seen it several times in cybercafe's/kyosk implementations. You cannot reach power cable or the power button on the box itself.

I find it especially strange since by
default any user can shut down once logged into gnome via gdm, but they
become stranded once back on the welcome screen.

Hmmmm... kde does not allow this when comming from a kdm session... At least not the one I have in a Mandrake setup... Yes, I must agree with you that by this point of view it's very strange...