Documentation about module loading in sarge/kernel2.6?

Hi there,

I just got a new laptop, an Acer Aspire 1522WLMi. After installing Sarge (kernel 2.6) with the rc of the debian installer, essentials parts of the system work flawlessly and I can get my work done. However, looking at /etc/modules, I findthat it's nearly empty. But modules like r8169 (Realtek nic) are loaded and working fine. Grepping /etc, I can't find any traces of aforementioned module.

So conclusion is, I've been a dumb-ass thinking that I know how modules "work" in sarge/kernel 2.6

Anyone care to help me out or at least point me at proper documentation?

Regards,

Iwan