Re: Kernel panic: Attepmted to kill init!

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 09:08:19PM -0600, Johnson, Chad wrote:
> I finished installing Debian (took a break for a while) and now when I try to boot using the GRUB floopy the installer created, I get
>
> /sbin/init: 426: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>
> What do I do now?

can you post some more of the messages you get when you boot, starting with the
first one that looks like an error, and every message from then on?  Maybe the
last 10 or 15 messages.

Are there any "mount" errors?

I think a number of things can cause this symptom.

What kind of hardware (how much ram, what sort of hard disc) are you using?
What filesystem are you using?

Sam