ltsp: cannot open devices '/dev/psaux' '/dev/mouse'

Hi, logging in as a user on the server I was given the choice an X or Gnome setup. I chose X and the mouse started to work intermittently and then died. Worse, when I rebooted into into the XP partition it was also stuck firmly in the center of the screen.

Error messages include '(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux, No such device' and '(EE) xf86OpenSerial: cannot open device /dev/mouse, No such file or directory'. The /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 looks OK, but I'm not sure if I should be looking for a /tmp/XF86Config-4 file. My current /tmp does not contain one. Looking at the filesystem, /dev/psaux exists, but /dev/mouse does not. Output from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 includes "(EE) PreInit failed for input device 'Generic Mouse' (II) Unload Module: 'mouse' (WW) No core pointer registered. No core pointer." I am writing this on the client machine. Any ideas ?
This IntelliMouse has been good to me for a long time.

Adam Bogacki,
afb@paradise.net.nz