Updating ACPI DSDT tables the Debian way?

I have a laptop (a Samsung P28) which suffers from a bad ACPI DSDT
and so fails to do such simple things as telling me the battery state.

I have found a variety of documents through Google which tell me
how to fix this, but they are all aimed at non-Debian systems.

There is reference to a kernel option which enables the loading of
DSDT data as part of an INITRD image, but I can not find it in the
2.6.9 kernel options.  It may be that it was an option in 2.4 but
is now an automatic part of a 2.6 kernel, but I am not sure.

I found a souce TAR of the ACPI utilities, including iasl which is
needed to patch the DSDT.  But it fails due to an an unsupported
table (or some such).  However copying the file from
/proc/acpi/dsdt into a temporary file and then running iasl on that
fixed that problem.

But the DSDT did not seem to follow the layout in the docs, but I
will persevere in trying to sort that problem.

In http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml there is a discussion about the
kernel patch, along with a links to versions for various kernels. It
also mentions that the SuSE kernels now ship with this included
in their stock kernels, but it does not mention Debian.  Does
anyone know whether the Debian 2.6 (I am using 2.6.9) kernels
are built with the patch?

Regards

David